Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Into the Black Library: Helsreach



So I have been enthralled by a new purchase of mine. After a trip to the bustling city of Indianapolis, I snagged Black Library's Helsreach novel. It is the first time I have ever purchased a book from the 40k universe... and I must say it has been one of the most rewarding experiences and best reads I've had since the old Halo novels came out.

Helsreach covers the Black Templars during their time in the Armageddon campaign, and more specifically it follows Grimaldus during his rise to the rank of Reclusiarch and his actions on the surface of the industrial world.

I have had a hard time putting this one down, and even though I am a slow reader, it has been simply amazing so far, and I haven't even reached the conflict yet. Black Library has really done a beautiful job capturing the feeling of the universe, and I feel like I have gotten a more intimate understanding of the Grimaldus character. I own the model, and will more than likely be painting it soon after this read... not to mention this book had a hefty hand in shaping my list for an upcoming tournament (Guess which HQ I'll be using [along with the Emperor's Champion of course :P]).

If this book is anything like the others, and I would assume it is, they are defiantly worth the price tag. If you know of a book Black Library has done concerning your army of choice, I would highly recommend them if nothing else to get a great first hand feeling of what makes your army tick. If you have any recommendations I would love to hear them here. Till then, I must get back to the book. I'm stoked to see this war start!

Cheers!

4 comments:

  1. Helsreach far outclassed Rynn's World... FAR ouclassed it. Aaron is a good friend of mine, and he writes some fantastically engaging stuff. Even going so far as to encapsulate the almost "autistic" nature of Space Marines. Especially SM's like that of Grimaldus. I'll be reblogging this on The Founding Fields. :)

    CP

    http://www.thefoundingfields.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't read any of the Black Library books, but I hear good things about them. Well told stories, if a little predictable. But when you're working with a fixed outcome, there isn't much you can do.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remimber 15hrs, legends of the smerfs and gortex and felix. All are good books, all a fun read.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been reading the Grey Knights Omnibus, and am then moving on to the two separate Space Wolf Omnibus's (?). Has been an intriguing read thus far. Can't wait. I have a couple of Hourus heresy books that I want like the one on the assault of the Thousand Sons by the Space Wolves.

    ReplyDelete